21 November 2007

Reminiscing

I just shared this story with a friend and now I'm sharing it with you.


Not too long I came across an old copy of Disintegration by The Cure and it made me remember being 14 in Albuquerque and my Mormon skate punk boyfriend who lived on the other side of town, 45 minutes away (I was by the mesa and he was by the mountains). He would write the lyrics to Cure songs and send them to me in the mail. I usually only got to see him at church dances (Mormons love to dance you know) and we would complain about the choice of music, C+C Music Factory, MC Hammer, NKOTB, and try to get the DJ to play "better" music like Ministry and DRI. But even when our music came on we didn't dance because it wasn't in keeping with our view of ourselves. Later we'd try to find a quiet spot (never alone, we were heavily chaperoned) where we could hold hands and talk music or school. I was a freshman and he was a junior but I was the first girl he ever kissed. I thought he was so sensitive. Last time I heard about the boy was probably 12 years ago. He'd moved to Salt Lake City and was all skinhead. It's funny how much finding that old CD made me remember.