Secret Pal 7
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
Sigh, the word snob is so... But yes, I do prefer natural fibers or blends.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
No but I am trying to learn to crochet, my last SP sent me a hook and a book.
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a needle case and the top drawer of a yarn and a vase.
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting about a year and a half; I’d rate myself as intermediate.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, it’s here.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I’m not s huge Yanke Candle fan but I do love the sage and citrus scent. I also like nag champa, white musk from the Body Shop, I like lavender, I like Skin Trip coconut lotion because it reminds me of my mom when I was a kid.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes, I like milk chocolate, almost anything with nuts, good coffee.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Well, after work, parenting, and homework the only DIY thing I can manage is dragging my ass to bed.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like everything, well everything that doesn't suck. But seriously Fear Factor to Common, Amiel to Emmy Lou Harris, Nikka Costa to Super Cat, Miles Davis to Stereolab - I like it all. Yes my computer can play MP3s. My new favorite is Matisyahu, I just bought Live at Stubbs.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Orange is my favorite color but I don't think my own coloring lends to my being able to really wear it. What's the new black this season? Maybe that will be my new favorite! *snark* There aren't really colors I don't like except maybe dusty rose.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm single with a daughter who turned five in September. We have 2 cats only one of which goes outside. I have a lot of family and good friends in the area.
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I actually wear all of them, the ponchos I wear (I only have 2) are more like plain wraps stitched on one side.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I don't know that I have a favorite; Lamb's Pride is probably what I use most often. They have some yarn I keep saying I’m going to try made out of bamboo at my LYS that seems soft.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Eyelash was fun for a minute but I'm pretty much over that one. I'm not a fan of a lot of acrylic but I have come across yarn that was secretly* acrylic that I liked.
*I would have sworn that the yarn was a natural fiber but it was just undercover.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I’ve been doing a lot of work on small needles, gloves and mittens mostly. I’ll soon attack socks again as well. My latest obsession is busting my stash.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I don’t know.
17. What are you knitting right now?
Mittens, fingerless gloves and fingered gloves (and as always my Marilyn Sweater).
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I usually use straight but I just purchased “Socks Soar on 2 Circular Needles” so that preference may change.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I mostly own bamboo, I like the feel of wood and the fact that my yarn was less apt to slip off but lately I’ve been using aluminum when I can – I don’t like the feel as much but I like the speed. Really I’m good with anything as long as I’m knitting.
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No but I’d love to.
22. How did you learn to knit?
My gramdmother’s friend taught me when I was a kid and I promptly put down my needles to go play in the dirt, I picked it up again when I wa pregnant and knit 1 and 1/2 squares of a 9 square blanket and abandon it again. About a year and a half ago I picked up a book and got together with some knitters and have been obsessive ever since.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
That damn Marilyn Sweater! I’ve actually knit it twice and just have to seam it, I’ve been working on it for about 6 months.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Hello Kitty is my favorite animated character. My favorite animals are frogs and octopuses (but realistic ones, not cartoony).
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Winter Solstice because we all get together to hang out, open gifts, and eat my mom's yummy grits for breakfast.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
I try not to do a ton of collecting because I have enough stuff but anything that catches my eye has the potential, I like dark woods, boxes, random trinkets from India, and I could go on and on, it's more about the item than the completion of or addition to a collection. The closest I come is items related to goddesses and female saints.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I’ve rated my books by preference on my Amazon wish list.
29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Not that I can think of.
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I wear a woman’s size 9.5 shoe.
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
It should also be noted that there are 2 Emilys that post to this blog. I'm E to the M and the other is simply Emily.
09 January 2006
Secret Pal 7