02 January 2006

Awesome Possum

Anyone here ever hear of Perino? Me either. But a woman in my office recently went to New Zealand for a month so I gave her $50 and asked her to pick out some yarn for me. I got some merino, some basic wool, some yarn that's Oscar the Grouch green and a big honkin' hank of Perino (about 550 yards).





Perino, put simply is possum yarn. The Australian bush tailed possum was originally brought to NZ to establish the fur trade now they are a big problem, eating native trees that subsequently die and consuming the food of native bird species. Oh, and did I mention that there are more than 70 million of these cuties? Possum link 1, link 2. Anyway people seem to be singing the praises of possum yarn (link 1, link 2) and I am very excited to try it out. Any pattern ideas?