01 September 2005

News From Louisiana

A neighbor of my grandfather's got in touch with an aunt who lives in Texas who got in touch with my stepmother in California and my uncle in New York who both got in touch with me to let me know that my grandpa and the rest of my family are OK.

We originally thought it was only my grandpa and my Aunt Joanne that stayed in Slidell but my Uncle Billy, Aunt Carol, cousin Jennifer and Jennifer's daughter all stayed. According to the neighbor (who had a very bad phone connection and very little time), the house looks salvageable and everyone is alright.

I don't think I realized how tense I was until I knew they were OK. There's still a long road ahead, no electricity for at least 4 weeks, the plumbing's not working, etc. But if I know my granddad he'll stick it out in lieu of taking the easy way out. Hmmm, maybe that's where I get my stubbornness from.